adidas kaiser Caribou Coordination

Who proposes permanent protection of the coastal plain? In a recent US poll, 70% of Americans called for permanent protection of the Arctic Refuge coastal plain. The coastal plain makes up 5% of Alaska coast not slated for oil development; the remaining 95% is slated

for development. Oil development would be severely devastating to the land and the animals that live there, for with an oil field comes an airstrip, roads, pipelines, drill pads, refineries, worker residences, sewage facilities, garbage dumps,
adidas superstar green Caribou Coordination
etc. Development of this scale in a 1.5 million acre area teeming with wildlife is unthinkable! a land

What can you do to help: Ever since this area became truly threatened back in 1987, the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation has been on the front lines, battling for permanent protection of this area. For the Porcupine Caribou Herd is the centre of the Vuntut Gwitchin culture and life; we still live in the traditional way, hunting the caribou for food and traditional clothing. Nothing is wasted. For the Vuntut Gwitchin, the caribou are our life. In a Vuntut Gwitchin General Assembly Resolution back in August of 1995, we created the a Vuntut Gwitchin Government Department that deals exclusively with the issue as well as any threat to the entire range of the Porcupine Caribou Herd range, including its wintering grounds. Among its numerous functions and duties, this department coordinates Gwitchin public education tours in the US and creates educational materials on this issue.

To help the Vuntut Gwitchin in its efforts to protect its way of life and the range and survival of the Porcupine caribou herd, or for more information,
adidas superstar green Caribou Coordination
Please contact us at:.